Wednesday, June 8, 2011

My new friend, the London Tube...



I have quite a commute to work every day, an hour and thirty minutes each way! During my spare time during my ride (which I have tons of!) I counted the number of stops I have to go through on my way. This comes out to be a grand total of 22! (I travel from one black arrow to the other black arrow.) Thus, I have lots of time to listen to music, pray, read, and people watch every morning and afternoon. Lately, I have been having a hard time not dosing off to sleep!

Lots of kids ride the tube to school. It is really cute to see all of them getting on with their uniforms in the morning. i missed seeing them last week because they were on their version of "spring break." I was on the tube one afternoon earlier this week during my regular commute to work, when I heard two girls quizzing each other for a test. They were talking about the bombing of Birmingham, Alabama and the desegregation of the University of Alabama, and other civil rights events in the US. It was so surprised! Who would have thought that they would be learning about good ole Birmingham, AL all the way over here across the pond! After a little while, I talked to the girls and told them that I was from Birmingham. I think they were really surprised! Both were very sweet, one was in her 8th year and the other was in her 11th (they don't use grades).

My lovely surprise yesterday morning was that the chip in my Oyster travel card no longer works so I cannot get through the tube station. I have to have a new card mailed to me and then go through the confusing process of having my old card refunded and buying another travel plan for the new card and then getting reimbursed for my temporary card. Please pray that the process for getting a new card set up goes smoothly and quickly! 

I am sure that my adventures in the tube will only continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment